- Proof of English ability – TOEFL or IELTS scores*
- Minimum TOEFL scores:
- 70 (internet based) with a minimum score of 14 in each subsection
- 523 (paper based) with a minimum score of 46 in each subsection
- Minimum IELTS score of 6.0 with a minimum of a 5.0 in each subsection
- 24 transferable semester hours from a recognized institution
- 2.0 cumulative college GPA for all college-level courses
- Student must be in good standing and eligible to return to the last school attended
* Scores must be sent directly from the testing agency to UNC Charlotte.
Transferring Some U.S. Institution Credits
- If you have 24 or more transferrable semester hours from a US institution with 6 or more hours in English or Humanities courses, you may be exempt from taking the TOEFL or IELTS. Please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions if you have questions.
Foreign secondary school graduates
- Foreign secondary school graduates who have completed less than one (1) year of university courses must submit an official course-by-course credential evaluation for every school attended (high school and university). We recommend using IEE, Educational Perspectives, or ECE for the evaluation.
- Foreign secondary school graduates who have completed one (1) year or more of University courses may submit an official "document" evaluation of your secondary school diploma or graduation certificate. You will still need to submit a course-by-course evaluation for any foreign post-secondary coursework completed. We recommend using IEE, Educational Perspectives, or ECE for the evaluation.
Once we receive all the required transcripts (see below), the review process normally takes approximately 6-8 weeks. Please know that processing times may vary throughout the year, with priority given to applications for the upcoming term.
|TERM||APPLICATION & FEE PAYMENT DEADLINE*||TRANSCRIPTS & DOCUMENTS DEADLINE||TERM BEGINS|
|Fall||July 1||July 15||August|
|Spring||November 15||December 1||January|
|1st Summer||May 1||May 1||May|
|2nd Summer||June 1||June 1||July|
* Application and payment of the $80 application fee must be received by the date shown for each term.
NOTE: Students applying for our architecture, art, or nursing programs should apply early as these programs have separate application deadlines. You are encouraged to visit their website to gather more information regarding these deadlines.
- You will apply online through your Future 49er Web portal. Once we receive all the required transcripts (see below), the review process normally takes approximately 6-8 weeks. Please know that processing times may vary throughout the year.
- You can monitor your application status and verify receipt of transcripts through your Future 49er Web portal.
- During this time, we encourage you to utilize the Transfer Credit Advisor to see how your courses may transfer to UNC Charlotte.
- If you are admitted to UNC Charlotte, you will receive a letter from us with your student ID number and a link to your Transfer Credit Report. Once you receive this letter, you will find your next steps on the Admitted Student To-Do List in your Future 49er Portal.