What is a Visiting Student?
Visiting students are students who are currently enrolled as degree-seeking students at another institution but wish to take courses for a term at Charlotte and transfer credit back to their home institution. Summer terms are also an option for visiting students who desire to take courses for professional enrichment. Visiting students are considered non-degree seeking and register for courses on a space-available basis after Charlotte’s degree-seeking students.
As a visiting student, you must submit a new application for each term you wish to enroll. An application for the summer will allow you to enroll in an open class offered in any of the summer terms for that year. If taking courses in the fall or spring semesters, visiting students are required to submit transient study forms from their home institution. If taking courses in a summer term, visiting students are not required to submit transient study forms. Click here to complete the online application and submit the application fee. The required application fee is a processing fee that will not be refunded if the classes you wish to take are full.
Transcripts are not required for admission unless you wish to take a course that has prerequisite course requirements. If so, you must provide a transcript to the academic department hosting the course with proof of prerequisite course completion.
- Students currently enrolled in high school or under 18 years of age who want to take summer courses are not considered “visiting students,” but may be eligible to take classes through the University’s Pre-Collegiate Enrichment Program.
- Visiting students can enroll in up to 18 credit hours.
- Students who hold a first bachelor’s degree are not eligible to enroll as visiting students. Your options for pursuing studies at UNC Charlotte include earning a second bachelor’s degree or taking courses as a post-baccalaureate student from the Graduate School.
- Visiting students must be in good academic standing at their home institution.
- Students are eligible to attend UNC Charlotte as a visiting student for a summer term(s) prior to attending their home school. For example, a student who has enrolled in the upcoming Fall semester at their home school but has not yet attended that school may attend UNC Charlotte as a visiting student for a summer term(s).
|TERM||APPLICATION & FEE PAYMENT DEADLINE*||DOCUMENTS DEADLINE||2023 TERM BEGINS|
|Fall||July 1||July 15||Aug.|
|Spring||Nov. 15||Dec. 1||Jan.|
|1st Summer||May 1||May 1||May|
|2nd Summer||June 1||June 1||June|
Registering for classes
- All visiting students register for classes using Banner Self Service available through the MyCharlotte student portal.
- Your NinerNET account logs you in MyCharlotte, where you can view available class sections, add or drop classes and view your schedule. Please note that currently enrolled Charlotte students are given first priority registration.
- Once you are logged in to MyCharlotte, click the registration icon to begin. More information about class registration is available at ninercentral.charlotte.edu/registration.
- If your desired course has a prerequisite or requires you to declare a specific major, contact the instructor for that course to receive authorization to enroll. You may also need to provide a transcript from your home institution to prove that you have completed the required prerequisite.
- A directory of academic departments and instructors can be found at directory.charlotte.edu.