You’re on the right track to being a 49er!
International freshman students will need to submit the following to be reviewed for admission at UNC Charlotte:
1. Application and Application Fee of $80
2. Proof of English ability
We require all applicants whose first language is not English to adequately demonstrate English competency as a part of the application process. Please read our Proof of English Proficiency for methods through which students may demonstrate competency.
3. Official School Records
- Foreign High School – UNC Charlotte does not process international transcripts. Submit an official course-by-course credential evaluation instead.
- Please send your official foreign transcripts to any NACES-accredited agency. Once the review is completed, they will submit the credential evaluation report on your behalf directly to our office. We recommend using IEE, Educational Perspectives, ECE, or SPANTRAN for the evaluation.
- The last four years of pre-university curriculum need to be evaluated. If 9th grade is your middle school year, then the transcript can be submitted for 10-12 grades. If you are still taking your high school classes, we ask you to submit an updated final credential evaluation prior to your enrollment at UNC Charlotte. In addition, we also require you to evaluate your exam scores, for example, GCSE results, CXC results, CAPE exam results, A-level exam results, Senior secondary exam results, Higher senior secondary results, Abitur, etc.
- We recommend completion of 4 courses of language and literature, 4 courses of Mathematics, 3 courses of Science, 2 courses of History/Social Science, and 2 courses of the same Foreign Language (which may be English).
- U.S. High School – Submit an official high school transcript. You do not need a credential evaluation for U.S. schools.
- Students who did not complete all four years of high school in the U.S. and the grades weren’t transferred to their US transcript, must submit a credential evaluation for the years completed outside of the U.S. An evaluation must be completed by any NACES-accredited agency.
4. Submit one required essay
- If you are applying using the Common App, the essays prompts are located within the application and must be submitted when you apply. You may choose from these Common App essay prompts.
- If you are applying by the Future 49er Application, choose from one of these essay prompts and submit it to the admissions office by email or mail.
- Review this page for information on how your essay will be used in the admission review process.